Monday 10 February 2014

Well it has been far too long since I last posted anything. And I have a lot to tell you. On November 15 2013 I have a total knee replacement of my left knee. I have suffered from Osteoarthritis now for a number of years. I have tried physio, acupuncture, laser treatment, massage, ice, heat, medications, and injections. All of which worked to a degree for a short period of time. Surgery has changed my life. No other way to express it. It has been a hard recovery in a lot of ways.... not the least of which is I have not skied or coached yet this season...
I have done 5 weeks of physiotherapy at the hospital with an amazing therapist....have been doing the same or similar exercises at home since I got home from the hospital... I am going to the gym three morning a week again and I now cannot wait to get back to work... my real job...

Here is how this has been life changing. I can sleep through the night, I can sit and watch TV (Olympics) and not have pain, the can climb stairs, up and down and I walk with no limp. I can get into my car and drive and no feel after a few minutes like I could pass out. And as my trainer says I no longer walk like an old women. Not that there is anything wrong with that... I am just not old.

Getting ready for this surgery I was inspired to loose some weight, now I did not have much to loose but even 15 pounds has made a huge difference. I was inspired to get a much better diet, again not that I had a bad one, I just now have a much better one and I feel so good.

This has been life changing and I have not even started to ski yet. No idea how much better that will be.

I have several people to thank, and this is in no particular order.

Dr. Andrew Berkshire, and his staff, all the nurses (RN and LPNs) at the orthopedic wing at the DECH, Barb Toole at the Physiotherapy department at the DECH, all my friends, athletes that I have coached and all my coaching friends. Most important though... my family and even more important my mom. No way would I be where I am on recovery without her.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment